1. An afternoon at China Dragon. A “new” employee mentions her daughter, Stephanie, was coming into the restaurant today. I was filling in as host that night as my brother had it off that day. This long blonde haired, blue-eyed beautiful girl came through the doors and came up to the counter with the biggest smile I had ever seen. I was struck speechless as she asked me if her mom was around…. I just pointed. I sat her down and went to get her mom, without saying a word. Her mom asks “Why didn’t you say anything you silly goof?” I told her we were going to play this off as if I was a mute. She would come into the restaurant every day and for 2 weeks I would not say a word. Everybody was in on it. She was soon hired on as a waitress and I finally spoke, asking her to hang out. Not a day went by for the following 3 years where we were not together.
2. Sneaking into my first R-Rated movie. End of Days @ the old MetroLux Theatre.
3. Convincing everyone at Old Chicago that my dad was the dude that played Jerry Garcia in Half-Baked and then getting our tab paid for by the customers.
4. Concert hopping down in Denver when I was 20 with my roommates/friends/co-workers/band-mates.
5. Getting bottle service for the first time after turning 21 at Purple Martini and having my first dance with some girl at the bar.
6. Being attacked by a rottweiler in the middle of a blizzard during recess in the 3rd grade.
Just a bunch of memories with my Colorado friends that have come around in talks recently…
1. 18 years old, recently moved to Boulder after HS graduation… 5 of us have been playing Halo all day and into the night when we started getting hungry. Someone says “A #2 with a coke would be perfect right now.” ….. We all look at each other, maybe 10 seconds later without saying a word, we hop into one of the guy’s cars and make our way to California to get some In-N-Out. After we ate, we turned around and headed home.
2. Had just recently moved into Lincoln Place in downtown Loveland, 4 years ago. A buddy (who may had very well been a roommate since he woke up every day on the couch) and I were playing Halo 3 when a friend down in Austin, TX asked “When are you guys going to come down and visit?!” … I turned to my buddy and asked “What are you doing the next 4 days?” .. “Nothing.” .. “We’re going to Austin.” … We left the next morning.
3. Sitting in the green room at Starlight in Fort Collins. (It is now called Hodi’s Half-Note). I was about to go on stage with my band that I had joined 3 weeks prior and had to learn all their songs on the bass guitar in that time frame. Never having ever played the guitar or performed in front of an audience, I was crazy nervous. Then I remembered why I agreed to do this as I saw the biggest smile on the lead singer’s face and remembered I was doing this for him so he could live out his dream of performing songs he had written in front of a crowd. I don’t remember looking up into the crowd until our last song where I then witnessed a mosh pit occurring and the lead singer’s family in tears of joy. Felt good.
4. When my boy took me under his wing after I had turned 21 and helped me get that shyness out of me. Going out every night, making friends, connections & enjoying 21 to the fullest. Being able to walk in through the back door, Goodfellas style through the kitchen, at Tailgate Tommy’s every Friday & Saturday was such a good feeling when the crowd inside see you come through those swinging doors and the line which always wrapped around the block wonder what’s up. Haha, ballin’
5. Waking up on a bed surrounded by stuffed animals. Obviously a young kids’ room when looking upon the ocean of toys on the floor. I slowly walked out into an empty house with all the doors being shut. Not knowing at all where I was, I just decided to chill on the couch hoping someone I knew would appear. About 4 hours later after having beers with 4 black guys I had never bet before and watching Dave Chappelle… my boy (from #4) comes out of one of the rooms and I feel relieved. He explained the situation after we left after watching a few more episodes of Chappelle.